The Meaning of Dreams
Why do we dream?
Nobody really knows why we dream. Explanatory theories include the following:
- Dreaming results from random brain activity.
- Dreaming is simply the brain doing its housekeeping, filing away all the different thoughts, observations and other inputs of the day.
- Dreams are an invaluable insight into the subconscious, the "royal road" in the words of Sigmund Freud, founder of psychoanalysis.
- Dreams give the opportunity to experience situations and emotions that we may never encounter physically, either as a rehearsal for what may be, or simply for experiential growth.
- In dreams we draw closer to the world of Spirit and are able to receive Spiritual/psychical information that is normally unavailable during the waking state.